Thursday, August 30, 2012

AN EVEN HOTTER DAY IN AUGUST (Part 4)

We crossed the parking lot. It was nine-thirty in the morning and already tremendously hot. William asked me to wait outside while he started the car. I figured he wanted to get the air conditioning going, which I thought sweet and husbandly.

Then I heard the music. Stevie Wonder's voice rang out from the car stereo:

Over time, I've been building my castle of love
Just for two, though you never knew you were my reason
I've gone much too far for you now to say
That I’ve got to throw my castle away

My husband took me in his arms and asked, Do you remember when you said if we ever got married, this is the song we should dance to?

I shook my head, speechless, and he spun me in a circle. We waltzed in an empty parking lot on that hot August morning, tears streaming down our cheeks.

And though you don’t believe that they do
They do come true
For did my dreams
Come true when I looked at you
And maybe too if you would believe
You too might be
Overjoyed, over loved, over me

Oh, William. I should have waited for you. I should never have married or spent any time at all with anyone else.

We pressed our foreheads together and circled around and around.

I'm so glad you found me, I said.

I'm so glad you found me, he said.

Overjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment