Thursday, October 25, 2012

HONG KONG: April-May, 2004 (Part 8)

William and I adjusted to our lives Hong Kong. He was excited to be working with a director and crew he had worked with previously. I often joined William and his assistant for lunch. I liked her enormously. Maria was smart, calm and efficient. William counted on her and they had a good working relationship.

At one of our lunches, William quipped something and Maria laughed. He made another comment and they shared another laugh.

What's the joke? I asked.

He looked at me and answered, Oh, it doesn't matter...you wouldn't get it.

Try me.

It's okay, don’t worry about it.

After a few minutes, I glanced at my watch and said, Sorry, I have to run. I forgot I have an appointment with the tailor. See ya.

I bolted. Gou pi!

Later I confronted William.

You know that tailor appointment I had today?

Yeah?

I lied about that.

What do mean?

I had to get out of there.

Why?

That you wouldn't get it stuff . That was lousy. I felt like someone's clueless aunt. Like I was back in high school.

William looked like he'd been smacked. He looked way too shattered for the crime, if you ask me.

I really missed this one, Mel. I feel awful, I'm really, really sorry.

Yeah, I can see that. Okay. It's okay—

And he went on and on about how awful he felt. He berated himself over and over.

I spoke up. Hey, I'm the one who's hurt and you're taking that away by being more hurt.

And thus began a routine we would re-enact over the next few years. I'd call out a grievance. He'd be chagrined. Pained. Overwrought. Then I'd comfort him and wonder if I was overreacting.

William is a perfectionist. This makes him really good at his job...but sometimes difficult to live with. I'm a ruminator. This is handy as a writer...but sometimes difficult to live with because I can internalize everything then suddenly explode in an all-out attack.

We know we will wrestle with these issues our whole lives together. Knowing and doing are two different things — but at least we know.

No comments:

Post a Comment