Thursday, August 9, 2012

AN EVEN HOTTER DAY IN AUGUST (Part 1)

Of course, I plunged into planning the where, when and how of accomplishing the deed. My initial romantic notion, clearly influenced by some Clark Gable-Carole Lombard scenario, was to elope by driving up to Lake Tahoe and checking into a log cabin for a couple of nights. We could learn to fish, we would hike in the forests and we would eat rare steaks. And we would find a courthouse. All in two days.

This idea, however, turned out to be impossible because of William's work schedule. As I continued my research, I discovered it was no longer necessary to drive to Vegas or anywhere in Nevada to get hitched with little or no notice. Perhaps because of lost marriage licensing revenue, the State of California now made wedlock at city hall simple and quick. We could get a license and meet with a judge in the same day.

The blistering heat continued through August. We had no idea how long William would be on his current project and agreed we didn't want a traditional wedding. I made arrangements and shared them with him during an evening walk with our dog Stinky.

If we get up early tomorrow morning, the court clerk said we could get a license and be married by a judge within an hour.

Where?

The airport courthouse.

There's a court in the airport?

Well, no...it's called that because it's near LAX. Probably about twenty minutes from here.

Don't we need a blood test or something?

They don't do that anymore.

William tugged the dog away from a bush.

So, what do you think? I pursued.

About what?

I bit my lip.

Getting there at eight tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow? Why don't we go on Saturday?

Because they only do this on weekdays and all the other days are booked. The court clerk said tomorrow looked good.

Sounds like the court clerk is your new best friend.

Sounds like you're dragging your heels. Listen: I do not want to be one of those women who coerces, drags or manipulates a guy down the aisle. So are you up for this or not? If not, you do all the planning. Just tell me where and when.

My mood matched the cool air. I felt myself gliding into bitter surliness. This was William's draggy reluctance rearing its head yet again. I shouldn't have been surprised by this.

No comments:

Post a Comment