Thursday, July 26, 2012

A HOT DAY IN JULY (Part 4)

I scooped tiles off the board and dumped them back into the bag. I poured some more wine. All was right with the world. I felt like a winner, that was for damn sure. Gloating, I magnanimously offered the bag to William to choose a letter to see who would go first.

He picked an "E."

I picked an "A." Can she do it twice? The crowd says yes!

William shook his head and smiled.

I like our life, don't you? I said.

He gazed at me, his face lit by candlelight and our twinkling overhead lights.

Yes, I really like our life. It’s good.

Yup. Me too.

And I slammed down one letter after another on the board and played a whole word. Again.

Wow, seventy points on the first go. I'm going to win this one too. Sorry to say, but this is not your Scrabble night.

It's looking rough, he agreed.

William took longer than usual to work out his next word. He frowned a little and reshuffled his letters and played a short word.

You okay? I asked while looking for a way to use the "Q."

Of course. Why?

Well, it's looking good for me again. I put the "Q" on a triple letter score to make QAT.

I dipped my hand into the bag and felt something jagged, like a broken tooth.

Hey...yuck...something's in here...like, not a letter—

William gave me puzzled look.

No comments:

Post a Comment