Thursday, February 23, 2012

MOROCCO: November, 2002 (Part 8)

I flew out of Marrakech two days later by way of Casablanca, London, Washington, D.C., and finally into Los Angeles. The trip took a full twenty-four hours, which makes perfect sense. That is how long it should take to leave a land so far, so cryptic, so peregrine.

I arrived home in time to hang Christmas lights, put up a tree and wrap gifts. William would arrive two weeks later to our house aglow in festivity. We were looking forward to two and a half weeks together at home before he would have to leave for his second location: Rome, Italy. The film would continue both shooting and cutting at the famous Italian Cinecittà studios.

Christmas was a quiet and lovely time to watch old movies, eat home-cooked food and study flames dancing in the fireplace. Stinky and Spencer curled up on the living room carpet. Peace. All looked hopeful and right in the world...until New Year's Eve.

Happy New Year! I raised my champagne glass and we clinked. This will be a big year for us, I continued, with a sip and a twinkle in my eye.

Why? William scratched the dog's ears.

By year's end we'll have been living here for two years and we both know what that means.

We do?

I could tell he was messing with me. This is a favorite pastime of William's, but this night I was on to him.

Oh, yes we do.... On the television, Michael Corleone kissed his brother and said, "I know it was you, Fredo. You broke my heart."

Honestly, I don't know what you're talking about.

Stop it.

We both watched the TV.

I really don't.

And then I got he wasn't kidding around.

Two years...within two years of living together we...you know....

What?

Get married! That was the deal! Within two years of living together we would get married.

No...we said after two years of living together we'd get married.

Hello, 2003...here's your first firework. Outside on the street, there were real fireworks exploding as our happy neighbors gathered to cheer the new year. Inside the house Stinky barked as if a war had been launched.

Don't you want to see the end of the movie? William asked as I left the room.

Seen it. Michael kills Fredo. Going to bed.

Awww, come on.

I didn't want William to see my tears. He followed me into the bathroom, where I started to floss my teeth like it was any old regular night.

Mel—

I placed my toothbrush down and stared at my reflection.

Here's what I don't want. I don't want to become a whiny girly-girl waiting for a proposal. We had a deal. As far as I can tell you're breaking it and I have to deal with that.

William slipped his arms around me and kissed the back of my neck.

The deal is on. You'll get a real marriage proposal.

When? I whined in the very voice I told myself I wouldn't use.

Well, you're going to do something. I'm not going to say what...but when you do that thing, the proposal will happen.

Is this a game?

It'll be fun...kind of like a game...but it will happen, I promise.

Trust. Rearing its ugly head and testing us both. I didn't know if I could and I didn't know if he was ready. I brushed my hair and crawled into bed.

Fine, have it your way, but at least give me a hint about what this thing is.

Nope, no hints.

Please?

Nope.

God, you bug me

Happy New Year. I love you.

I met his eyes. He sat beside me.

And we kissed good-bye to 2002.

No comments:

Post a Comment