Thursday, May 5, 2011

LOS ANGELES: October, 1998 (Part 8)

Two years into our relationship and William was about to travel across the Atlantic on a job. His career as an assistant editor continued apace. It's a good job and many assistant editors spend their entire careers in the position.

Assistant editors aren't assistants in the sense of picking up dry cleaning and making coffee. They carry very specific technical responsibilities in the filmmaking world, and the position is not an automatic precursor to becoming a film editor. William, however, dreamed of cutting movies. He wanted to move up.

How long will you be gone?

Mmmm...three months, looks like.

Huh.

I want you to come.

Well, I do have a hiatus, but....

What did I want him to do? Beg?

Maybe I did.

I'll buy you the airline ticket. The apartment over there is free.

Yeah.

Come, because I'll miss you too much if you don't.

Okay.

My lackluster response hid my thrill.

No comments:

Post a Comment